Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Adventures of the missing phone....

Scene 1:
One fine morning, a group of us go to one of the usual 'Sagar's in Bangalore to have breakfast…
I get a call, and after attending it, place my cellphone on the table, next to my plate…Then I am engrossed in thinking about my plans for the evening..We all leave together for office, and I leave my cell phone behind…

After 15 minutes, realization dawns that my phone is missing… I ask my friend to call my number from his mobile.. Some person picks up the phone and starts talking in kannada.. We don’t understand what he says…We give it to our driver, and he speaks to him… He finds out that the person is a milkman and he happened to get hold of the phone lying in the hotel, and he took it with him, so that he didn’t want anyone to steal it… He said he was standing near Wipro e-city gate.. And can be identified with a milk can in his cycle.. Highly relieved, we rushed to the spot, and there he was, the phone saving 'paalkaaran'.. :) Thanked him again and again profusely for his help…

My phone was given a second life….

Scene 2: ( 6 months later)
Boarded an auto.. Made him stop at the Citibank and the ICICI ATMs for few minutes… heavy traffic on the road.. Inspite of all this, the autowallah, quite an old man, never cribbed.. Everyminute of the journey, I was waiting for it to happen.. "Now hez gonna start cribbing :( now… now…" But it never happened… I was feeling guilty as to why he did not crib.. Had a peaceful trip to office.. So while getting down, I gave him five rupees more, as I felt like…

Reached office.. And after half hour, my friend calls at my desk phone…
He: "Wheres your phone?"
Me: "In my bag!"(I open my bag and search hurriedly...)
"Oh no! not there!"
He: "Yeah.. Knew that.. Some guy picked up the phone and started talking something in kannada…Hey, ask one of your colleagues, who know kannada to speak to him and find out what hez saying…"
Me: "Ohk.."

My colleague speaks to him.. The guy happens to be the owner of a beeda shop.. He says that the auto driver, who belongs to the auto stand near his shop gave it to him as he did not know how to operate, and inform the person who calls the mobile first…He gave the address of the shop…
We rush to the place…

Shop guy: "The auto driver asked me to keep this safe and as he wanted only the rightful owner to take it, He said that the phone had to be handed over only after he has seen the person.."
We were moved by the extent to which he ensured safety…
Shop Guy: "He has gone for a trip now… Will be back during lunch time.. I will call you and tell you then.. As it is not right on my part to hand it over, sir.."

So we left my colleagues number with him and left.. We get a call around noon, saying that he has come… We went there…The auto driver smiled giving a 'here-is-the-rightful-owner' kind of look... Showered thanks to the autowallah and the shop guy...
We also handed over a fifty rupee note as a small gratitude for his help...

Came back only to hear from other colleagues that they have hardly heard such a case of getting the phone back after it was misplaced…!

Hmmm... Nice people in this world still exist…. :) Feels good…
Got lucky twice…. Don’t want to have a third adventure and hence will be extra careful….

16 comments:

Pradeep Kuttuva said...

Sudha:

Cannot believe such nice people exist..all ive heard..

ive had 2 friends losing their mobile..one case..it was switched off..when he tried to call..

the other case..the guy told my friend that he wont return it..(seriously..he told him point black..that it was his phone now)...my friend went to the extent of asking bsnl..if he could track this guy and all that...

i think u were very very lucky...

Anonymous said...

Ippo dhaan pudhu phone vaanginen. Pondaati madhiri jagradhaya paathukanum :-D

Anonymous said...

:O:O wish there were so many more nice samritans in chennai

lucky u :)

venkat

awakeningcoma said...

sudha ur really to be in bangalore, here in chennai they pickpocketed my cellphone, sondha oora pathi thappa pesakudathu. okay innimelavathu cell patharam (enna atha nee solriyanu solringapolla irruku)

Kaps said...

looks like a case of unbelievable but true. such cases are rare.

let's see if u r third time lucky

Unknown said...

The world still has a lot of nice people around. LOL @ Ferrari's comment and at Kay's. Chumma irukkaadhe 3rd timekku wish paneetu poreeye Kay :)

Anonymous said...

oye wicked,

When did Kaps become Kay?

NaiKutti said...

You got to be damn lucky to get it back twice. Before your luck seizes (hopefully not soon) why don't you voluntarily try the next time ;-)

If its not luck, then may be because your cell phone was very old for anyone to take ;-)

Unknown said...

Beedakaaran, milkman, next unga phone-a Laloo dhaan meettu tharuvaar :)

Saravana said...

Sudha is it happening in Bangalore ... pinch pinch pinch again

ada-paavi!!!! said...

u are seriously lucky,
idu dhaan fluke endru sollarathu

Jagan said...

yeah ..trust autodriver and milkman ..never trust your friend .badu pavi payan...i spent 2 hours searching for my phone while tht idiot was talking on my phone ..:-((

Expert Reviewer said...

@maduraiarian
yeah! heard of my friends losing them..
@ferrari
onga 'he-she' series la vara maadhiri paathupeengala? ;)
@venkat
wud be nice..la?
@awakeningcoma
jus as my friend said, namma ooru na, 15 minutes la moore market ku poidum.. guess it depends more on the people than the city
@kaps
i dont want a third time kaps :(
@wicked angel
nice to see ur coments here! the world sure does.. :)

Expert Reviewer said...

@kartik
the phone i got back now is not even 4 months old! :( infant stage!
@praveen
laloo vandhaa, vatsan ayum meeting podhu call pannanum... :D
@saravana kumar
romba pinch pannikareenga.. Bangalore e dhaan! :D
@vatsan
maha fluke! My colleagues said - Innikku poi you can try getting a lottery ticket, u might jus end up winning.. ;)
@bala
3rd adventure vendaame.. :(
@jagan
lol.. he paid u back with the same coin? ;)

Anonymous said...

twice lucky.... thts nice!
Hmm... my good ol' 2100... wherever you are... i wish you a great (battery) life... :(

Expert Reviewer said...

@anand ms
i empathize.. :)