Thursday, August 11, 2005

From mehndi to body painting….

The 'Annual/Family day' of my company was held at Club Cabana, a chill away place in the outskirts of Bangalore! The whole day was filled with fun and frolic, and I got to try some out of the ordinary stuff…

Mehndi…
Mehndi (or Marudhaani, it is called in tamil) is one of my all time favourites.. My perima(aunt) has a huge marudhaani plant in their house, and she makes sure that she picks fresh leaves from there, grinds it and gives it to me whenever I go to their place..

The sheer joy of seeing that bright maroon thing on your hand is simply unexplainable..


The south indian way of applying mehndi is not like what is done up north.. We have no designs as such.. Theres a big circle, surrounded by smaller ones, and caps(we call it..) at the end of the fingers… Even such a simple design, in its bright colour is an amazing contrast to the hand….

Pattu paavaadai (silk skirts..the kaancheepuram one..) and marudhaani, used to be the rage! And how we to retain it for longer hours than the other person, so that it becomes darker…

Back in college, I won a mehndi competition too… not for applying.. :D The girl who made the design on my hand won a prize too.. But I got it for 'The best hand suited for mehndi' hee hee.. Seriously!! Believe it or not! :)

At Club Cabana, there were professionals.. And I got this arabic design done.. Cute isnt it…





Body Painting...
First experience in this area was when my face was painted by Nithya, at the IIMB culturals.. She did an amazing job and had a superb theme too… Now don’t ask me whether I won 'the best face to be painted' award… The best, we felt was the 'chinki' face, its perfectly flat, and has lot of area on which u can paint without any hassle.. :)

At club cabana, there were funky things being painted on peoples' cheeks and hands.. Grown ups had everything from skulls to scorpions and flowers.. All the kids wanted either a pokemon, spiderman or power puff girls… Almost the entire crowd had something or the other…

And I decided to get my Zodiac painted..
I am too attached to this 'piscean' thing that I asked him to paint two fishes in the opposite direction.. He did it so well, that I couldn’t stop admiring it… Here it is…






I wish the pic showed all the perfect and intricate painting strokes which he made in this particular piece of art… It was really nice that he matched the colours of the fishes with those in my t-shirt.. In short, it was nothing short of being Cute and cool… :)

Didn’t have the heart to wash the paint off… The next day, took care to see that it doesn’t get affected during bath, but inspite of being very careful, a bit of it got scraped off... And hence I took the entire thing off… :(


Waiting to get a tattoo done next time… :D




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmm...good...so u had a wonderful time off...:)

NS said...

Yeah, marudhani has its charm, so I simply dont have the patience to sit with it!:(

Ur tattoo looks real cool! exactly matches with ur t-shirt.. the fish look cute:)

Anonymous said...

the tatoo really gels well ....should have been gud ... the mehendi is simple n neat...precisely the way any cute n simple thing is to be :-)

btw, good tht ppl were only getting cheeks and hands painted ;-) now , don ask me elaborate on tht :-D

--monsh

Anonymous said...

Marudhaani is anytime better... it has its own class... nice pics :)
lets see when you post the tatoo blog...

Anonymous said...

Superb..!
This marudhaani & pattu paavaadai stuff made me to think about childhood days too..!! Yeah, I always stood behind my sister to get this job done. :-) Good!

Expert Reviewer said...

@ anand
yeah.. had a real great time! :D

@nithya, monsh, anand ms
Thanks for that! :)

@thangavelu
nostalgia va? :) Nice!

Murali said...

marudhani??? hmmm amma pottirukardhu thaan paathirukkein!!!

Matt said...

Sudha, tattoo is cool.. Mehandi is nice.. More mehandi designers(!!) are seen in JayaNagar 4th block.. illaya?

Expert Reviewer said...

@murali
:) nice that u visited my blog!
@matt @vj
thanks! nice to see ur comments here!
:) and matt.. yeah.. jaynagar 4th block houses quite a few of them nu kealvi patruken..

Jagan said...

not bad...so u do bath ah ...? ;-) .