Thursday, August 18, 2005

About school days....

Well.. Decided to blog about my school memories.. Certain interesting ones here and there right from the age of 3, which have left unerasable trails in my memory… Most incidents pretty funny, but nostalgic…
Year-wise if I start narrating all that I remember about me at school…

Lower Kinder Garden …
We had these small cute colourful chairs and tables of various shapes.. The whole class was filled and decorated with fun stuff! How I wish it stayed that way till the end of our schooldays…

In this particular class, I was known for not keeping my bag on the floor.. Till date, I don’t like to do it… I was told that inspite of my teacher asking me to keep it down, everyday, I never did it, and always had it on my lap… :D
When my grandma used to come and pick me up after school, Ms Yasmine(my teacher) used to tell her -"She safeguards her bag as if she's got lots of gold inside! "
This was LKG…

In UKG, I remember this incident when, half way through the year, our teacher didn’t turn up to school for almost a weeks' time… In school assembly, they announced that Ms Bella, my teacher, was to undergo an operation…
I got so disturbed on hearing that, that immediately after I reached home, I went and sat in the corner of the room with God's photo in front of me, and cried so much and prayed really hard that god should save Ms Bella and she should be back in school..
My grandma kept asking me as to why I was crying but I didn’t tell her a thing... Infact she was a terror as she was known for beating children, with a wooden scale on their knuckles, if they talk in class… She came back in two weeks time…
Was so glad to see her...

Class 1, we had an interesting dance for our School annual day, called the 'Angel Dance'.. I was one of the 10 tiny ones selected for it.. We had a full and flowing dress, in different colours, and they gave us netted wings too… The wings were pretty heavy for me to carry, and it was bigger than me, at that time… Even when I look at that photo of mine, now, I cant stop smiling as to how sweet/comical it was…
I used to fall sick very often, and my teacher Ms Regina Louis name me 'Delicate Darling' at that time… the name failed to leave me till the time I left school…
My absence record in my diary used to overflow with "Cold and Fever" and nothing else…

Class 2, we had Ms Girija, who taught us hindi also… She used to write the letters of the hindi alphabet in such a big font size on the board that I used to be scared of sitting in the first row and even look at them…. But she knew how to manage an unruly bunch of kids…
This was the year when I developed my 'crow phobia' … One day, when I was with my friends during lunch time, a crow flew towards me and took away my lunch… I was terrified by that incident, that TILL DATE, I am extremely scared of crows!!!!!!!! :(

Class 3 and 4, there was Ms Tereza Fernandez, who was an angel in disguise… They way she carried herself, the patience with which she taught us, and her polite and affectionate nature etc etc was more than enough to make her our favourite teacher…
She gave me the "Best Behaviour" award for that academic year… :D I don’t call her an angel, because of that.. ;) Jus tha only one angel can identify another… :p

Class 5 was Ms Joyce, who was not my favourite… She was the kind who was partial and totally biased towards a particular community…
One incident which affected me a lot - We generally sit in the order of our grades/rank , in our class , while receiving the report card from our principal… I used to be in the top 5, and once after the half yearly exam results were announced, and we were waiting for the princi, she pointed to one particular girl sitting in the row at the back, and told her, "You could have performed better than her! Try to do it the next time" It really hurt…but I resolved to do better... And when I finished school and after class 10 and 12, bagged awards, and I went to her and showed them all, as we generally do it to all the teachers who have taught us… She
was in all praises, and said that she was proud that I was her student.. I was happy to hear that from my teacher… :)

Class 6, was fun, as we had a new class teacher every week… Every teacher left after a weeks' time.. Don’t know why, but it we had different versions of geography and biology everytime,,, ;)

We were this unfortunate lot who had their classrooms immediately adjacent the Teachers' staff room…. Thus even a small amount of noise (read: having fun) is enough to bring a teacher to our class… we were branded as the "Unruly class"

The first half of school life was lot of fun… It was the age of crayons and sketch pens…Age when you sit with dad and help him cover all your new notebooks and books with laminated sheets and write names on labels… enjoy the smell of fresh paper from notebooks.. gape at the pictures in the new text books..

Age when we used to go gaga over pencil boxes with pianos and buttons (press buttons to open every segment of the box, which contains erasers, sharpeners etc)…
It was the age of School bags with Clocks and squeezy water bottles…
Age when you graduate from pencils to pens…

Hmmm… Memorable days.. Weren't they?? :)

11 comments:

Jagan said...

So tell me ...was school more fun or college ?

Anonymous said...

amazing da... couldn't stop getting nostalgic...
you do have a good memory... ;)

Anonymous said...

yup, agree with anand, got me nostalgic....
liked tht particular "angely" thing on this one :-)
class 7-12 mein padaai nahi kii kya ? :-p

---- monsh

Anonymous said...

good..:)...good tht u remember all these things...appreciative..
as our talivas as so rightly said.."epovum nam namma vaazhanda galatai marakave kudadu"..:P

Anonymous said...

Wow.. u actually remember all those days??

The only memory i have abt my school days are all fuzzy.

Hats offf to u ma'am for having such excellent memory :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sudha !!!! you did not mention whether U passed all final exams or got promeoted because of your NASTY RUNNING NOSE :p

Just kidding.... It was really a nice effort to re-live those days, just by thinking about them...

Anonymous said...

akka ,you have a good memory

Anonymous said...

Nice post. I will be coming back for more.

Expert Reviewer said...

@jagan,
both were different kinds of fun :)
@anand ms
thanks :D
@monsh
recollection of early years is more fun! :)
@anand @gautam @anon @venkat
thanks all.. :) certain incidents romba nalla nyabagam irukku.. dont know how.. :D
@anon
thanks.. nice to see you here.. do keep visiting

Pradeep Kuttuva said...

wow..u remember LKG and UKG days,...the only thing i remember of those years were the smell of a nearby tree...i still dont know what the tree was...
anyway good post..

Anonymous said...

Sure enuf, this ones a PUKEFEST