Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Annoying yet entertaining ...

Scene 1:
Venue: Citibank ATM, Jaynagar
I am about to enter the ATM place to withdraw some cash..
I see a group of men crowding right at the door..
Me wondering whats wrong.. Thought process wanders from every place right from thinking whether the ATM machine has run out of cash , to, whether some burglary/ security breach has happened there…
Later I realize that they are Citibank agents, marketing credit cards..
I try to get past them and gain entry, when I am stopped…

Agent: Ma'am, we are offering a life time free …. (** I go deaf **)
( I am sick and tired of this "life time free" concept that even if someone actually offers me life time free supply of haldirams or toblerone, I might jus not listen...)


Me: I already have a card, thank you..
A: No ma'am, I don’t think you will be having a life time free … ( I am again irritated...)
Me: I do have a LIFE TIME FREE card Sir, which jus happened to arrive to my address through post, when I hadnt even asked for it..
A: Ma'am but you could try this one.. Its got other advantages like.. Blah.. Blah..
Me: No.. Thanks… Can you please leave way…
Hes kind enough to let me enter the ATM…

After cash withdrawal, I come out, thinkin about how my expenses were growing.. And suddenly I am stopped at the door..
The same agent again..!
A: Ma'am, you could try this life time free…. ( Aaaaaarrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhh )
Me: ( really pissed off, and in a literal pleading mode..) I thought you jus asked me when I entered…
A: ( smiling..) Yes ma'am, I jus gave it a try, incase you had changed your mind..
Me: ** didn’t know how to react ** Please… I have enough number of cards, which I hardly use.. I DON’T NEED ONE MORE..
Guess he took pity on me and let me go…
A: Ok ma'am..


Scene 2:
Venue: My cubicle in office…
I am totally engrossed in fixing a bug which was to go in the next product release…
Some change which I made to the original fix I had given was causing some problem, and I was trying to revert the changes and getting it to work, when the phone rings….

I pick up the phone but continue looking at the code…
Me : Yeah ( asm_t_varp->NLMUnload = TRUE; )

Voice : Ma'am, i am calling from Manhattan..
Me : yeah.. ( asm_t_varp->Quit = TRUE; )

Voice: blah... blah…
Me : what did u say.. ( Shit man! All flags set.. Still this damn thing not working.. Now let me look the other function... )

Voice: blah blah….
Me: yeah….

Voice: ok ma'am then can we send our agent to your office, Today or tomorrow ?
Me: For what??!?!?!??!?!?!?!?! ** all of a sudden becoming alert to what was happening.. **

Voice: You jus said you needed a loan ma'am…
Me: What the hell.. What loan…???!?
Guess she started all over again..

Voice: We have selected you for a pre approved loan…
Me: Wow! I was selected?? Great! And what were the parameters you had, to 'select' me? ( you dial all extension numbers in my floor in sequence and tell them that they are selected? )
Voice: No ma'am, your colleagues have recommended you and your salary certificate, length of stay in the company etc ma'am
Me: Hmm.. Interesting criteria… ( I myself am yet to receive my first pay slip thru mail… been here as an employee for jus a month.. !! )

Voice: So ma'am.. There are a lot of advantages of choosing us.. Blah blah…
I interrupt her in between..
Me: You are more irritating than the bug which is buggin me here!!
Voice: Ma'am?
Me: Nothing… I don’t need it …. Pleaaaase…!

Voice: Thank you ma'am.. Shall call you after a few weeks…
Me: For what?????????? I don’t need it.. I'll get back if I do… please don’t call…please…
Voice: ok..

Phew! Marketing people kill you.. Don’t they !!!! :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahahahhaa...aint tht their buisness...to irritate ppl...i somehow liked tht guy who bugged u in the ATM centre...he has a gr88 future...His neversaydie attitude, and d way he checked whether u have changed ur mind..

Next time u see him...tell him this from my side..."Way to go dude"

Anonymous said...

=))

Nice post, explaining the real life situation which every one of us is facing these days... I believe some kinda rule was passed as the marketing people should not do this on phone... who cares what the hell is happening...

My friend had a very interesting incident... The same marketing guys at the entrance of Citibank, told the same blah, blahs and my friend thot, ok let me take it... While withdrawing the money, he thot about how I am suffering from having credit card in the same bank as the one in which your salary gets credited... Every month on the due date, they just take the amount from your account, without your AUTHORIZATION... I am upset at what those automatic systems are doing with my accounts... So when he enquired that M.Guy about this issue, he is telling me, "that should not happen sir... give me your card number... i will ask my manager...". i said, "what the damn?". he is telling, "give me ur card number"... i wud have gone mad at him for asking me my number... but my friend just took me away from that place telling him that we are not interested...

MARKETING TACTICS...

Anonymous said...

:) good one... very realistic. have had similar experiences... very very irritating.
Its not long before you see ppl being literally chased by marketing guys... marketing strategy, they'd say!

Anonymous said...

lol.. i was once burdened unwittingly with 4 cards just coz i tok pity on these sales people.

one told me month end sir, commision kidaikum vaangikonga.. so i got it.
another female literally was cryin sayin sir sir please. seri vaanginen. one i got on my own, and another for fun . finally kadan la urkarnthu thalaila thundu pottunden :(:(


so beware and be aware.
venkat

ioiio said...

Lol :) Evry1 suffers

Expert Reviewer said...

@anand
shall do :), even better thing to do is give him ur number and ask him to bug you! ;)

@anand ms
Thank u! :">

@venkat
but eppidi orkut photo la thundu thalaila kaanum? :D

@ioiio
thanks for stopping by! :)

EarthlyTraveler said...

HAHAHaa...lovely.

traumatic experiences.

which is why i love b-lore...