Monday, July 18, 2005

Ode to my phone....

As I sit on my bed, wondering what I should pen down, before I sleep, I look at my new phone which lies next to me. Me went back in memory lane.. was reminded of my old phone...that was a really really special thing...
It entered my life on the 29th of May 2003, when I was just preparing to leave for Bangalore, going away from home for the first time.. It was a Nokia 3315! Nowadays, these old/obselete models are looked at with a lot of contempt that no one would even like to accept it for free as their second phone(except for people who still own it before they change.. ). But at that time it was real special! And moreover it was extra special as I had got it with a part of my engineering scholarship money.! Took a hutch connection at that time, and still faithful to the same number and connection!

My phone was such a darling thing to me that I couldnt even imagine spending an hour without it. The time when local smss were free in Hutch, for almost a year's time, my phone was subjected to brutal torture and Nazi treatment I should say, with 'hi' 's to even the next room exchanged strictly through sms only! And the hundreds of hours spent talking over the phone, Poor thing.. it had to put up with all that..
How many times has it faithfully woken me up during exam times and forgiven me and kept snoozing every ten minutes even if i hit it in anger when the alarm i had set in it, rung...
How many times I had choked its memory with messages and finally had to make tough decisions as to which special message can I afford to delete...
How I had to subject it to double work whenever I had sent messages, by asking for delivery reports..
How many times I cause pain to it by pressing its keys, and it gives me nice little characters in return,,,
How many times I had made it reset its Total Call Duration value, as it ran out of digits..How many times I had tried my hand at composing awful tunes that it had to bear with...
How many birthday's has it promptly reminded me of, making so many of my friends feel special.. One thing I have never exploited my phone with, is, by playing games.. vaguely remember seeing something like Bantumi and Snakes or something.. :)
Cannot forget as to how its calculator helped me in the finance exam, when I forgot to take one on that day...(Ok.. ok.. i can hear people say "For gods sake, ANY phone is supposed to do all this..but still... my phone is special...) :D
I loved my phone..I adored it.. Ask anyone associated with me as to how proud I was to own that instrument,..even after the keypad showed signs of ageing, and could work properly only after excess pressure application...
I liked it even when the down arrow used to make the screen scroll upwards, and thus me having to read every multiple screen message in the reverse way( scroll 5. 4. 3. 2. read 1st page.... then scroll 5.4.3. read 2nd page etc... ) ...
I loved it even when a vowel key didnt work and i had to kindle the usage of brain for guessing, in those people who were reading my messages. I refused to part with it even as my friends begged me to change it, as they felt that it might land up in some museum... Then one day when it had dutifully reminded me of my cousin's birthday at 12, and i tried to call her, the main 'CALL' button simply refused to work, and I was for the first time kind of irritated and spent almost 10 minutes trying to press keys properly..
Then with no option left, I removed the outercase and the keypad cover, and pressed the key directly..Ah.. it worked beatifully..By now it was looking like a hero of an AI movie,hmm.. more like an Intel chipset... and still looked fundu to me.. :D And then used it for a few days like that..
I changed its case.. then... Friend: "Oh good! So you finally changed the phone.. ?Good Good :) "
Me(with a big grin...) "No.. No..jus the case.." Friend: "Oh No.. you are incorrigible..!"
But then,slowly, the ageing factor played a major part,with the battery.. So finally I took THAT decision.. The decision to give my dear thing away..
I let 29th of May 2005 pass as it as it celebrated its 2nd birthday with me.... And on the 30th I went to the Nokia dealer to get it exchanged... People passed comments like "If you want to exchange this phone, then you might end up paying him excess for him to have this phone.." or "Its an antique piece, so it might fetch a lot of money! "
But even as it left me, it did so much of good.. The dealer checked the phone, he wanted to check the volume of the phone and played a few ringtones.
It sang clear and real loud with all its glory....It never let me down... He was impressed..
Then he asked me whether the battery when charged would last for 2-3 days.. I replied with a confident "Ya.. Ya.." and thought to myself about its actual state where it would last for 5-6 hours if I charge it the whole night! He said he will exchange it for 1000 bucks! Whoa... That was real good!
My phone surely deserves it, I thought.. Comeon.. any hardworker deserves recognition... :D My friends were shocked to hear the news.. Till date they wonder as to how the hell the dealer gave a 1000 whole bucks for my phone!! :D Well... my reply .. "I told you.. my phone is the best....You never believed when I said that.." :)
Bottomline....I love my phone...! :D :-*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I sit on my SEAT, wondering what I should COMMENT, before I LAUGH (do I have to laugh???), I look at HER new phone which lies next to HER. Me went back in memory lane.. was reminded of HER old phone...that was a really really special thing...
It entered MY life on the 16th of AUGUST 2003, when I was IN BANGALORE.. It was a Nokia 3315! SHE HAD TAKEN a hutch connection at that time, and still faithful to the same number and connection! (QUITE USELESS ONE... WHEN YOU WANT TO CONTACT, YOU CANNOT... THE LAW WORKED PERFECTLY... WHEN YOU TAKE AN HUTCH CONNECTION, ITS ALWAYS UNREACHABLE... BUT THE DOGS WILL FOLLOW YOU FOR SURE...)
The time when local smss were free in Hutch, for almost a year's time, WE WERE subjected to brutal torture and Nazi treatment I should say, with 'hi' 's to even the next room exchanged strictly through sms only! And the hundreds of hours spent talking over the phone, POOR WE... CUDNT FIND PEACE ANYWHERE AROUND HER... WE had to put up with all that..
How many times has it DISTURBED US DURING THE CLASS WITH THE LOUD RINGTONES and TORTURED US...
How many times SHE causeD pain to US by pressing its keys, and GIVING SOME SOUND ALWAYS,,,
THE LONG HOURS DURING THE NIGHT, HOW MANY TIMES SHE HAD TORTURED US WITH THAT LITTLE PIECE OF DEVIL...
How many times SHE HAD MADE US TO LISTEN TO THOSE HORRIBLE "SO CALLED" TUNES COMPOSED...
HER BIRTHDAY'S ARE VERY SPECIAL... WITH PEOPLE STANDING FOR HER TO CUT THE CAKE, THE PHONE WILL BE ALWAYS RINGING...
Ask anyone associated with HER as to how TORTUROUS HER INSTRUMENT WAS TO OTHERS,..
WE HATED IT when SHE SENDS A MESSAGE IN SOME FORM OF ENCRYPTED FORM (NOT REALLY ENCRYPTED, BUT SOME KEYS WILL NOT BE WORKING). WE HAD TO THINK A LOT WHAT THE HELL SHE HAD TYPED...
WE refused to BEAR IT MORE AND HAD REQUESTED HER TO THROW IT AWAY...
EVEN THE DUSTBIN WUD HAVE THROWN IT AWAY...
AND WHEN SHE CHANGED THE CASE AND GAVE IT A NEW LOOK, THAT WAS EVEN MORE HORRIBLE TIME... WE HAD TO LOOK AT IT A LOT MORE THAN PREVIOUS...
But then,slowly, the ageing factor played a major part,with the battery.. So finally SHE took THAT decision.. The decision to give US PEACE..
ON 30th of May 2005 OUR INDEPENDENCE DAY CAME...
WHEN WE HEARD THAT THE STUPID DEALER GAVE A GRAND FOR THAT DEVIL, THE ONLY THING WE CAN THINK OF IS, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO PAY TO GET TROUBLE...
ANYWAY NICE BLOG... HOPE THE NEW PHONE DOESNT COME UP LIKE THE OLD ONE...

Expert Reviewer said...

@anon
Hey venkat.. all that u said is right.. but i wont forgive you for the umpteen missed calls u have given me during class hours, knowing that i forgot to put it in silent mode.. and made everyone realize that it is mine..! :)

Rahul Jain said...

it was nice to read your blog..
same thing is happening with my samsung R220 model...it was working fine for lst one year..but suddenly one morning i woke , i saw that button 7 has stopped working . So now i have started sending messages without letter PQRS...but still I believe it wont leave me so early..
i dont want to sell my cell and also i dont want to buy a new cell...pata nahin kya hoga...anyways enjoy with your new cell..

Anonymous said...

venkat...wondeful response to an amazing post...the other side of the story well reflected...:P